use XML file to edit options, and re-import?

No more questions - please go to http://www.syncovery.com/forum instead

Moderator: SuperFlexible Administrators

use XML file to edit options, and re-import?

Postby spagnola on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:54 am

can anyone clarify what I can do with the XML export/import?
I want an easier way to change profile settings, rather than the multiple screen tabs/options.
I see that I can EXPORT to XML, and inside there, there are the various parameters.

CAN I copy parameters from one profile XML file, to ANOTHER profile xml file, and then re-import that CHANGED profile as the same name, and will it have my new settings?

any help with how to make setting the preferences easier, to transfer among profiles, is appreciated
thanks
spagnola

Re: use XML file to edit options, and re-import?

Postby superflexible on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:44 am

Hello,
yes exactly. The profile name is specified in the XML file too. So regardless of the XML file name, the profile name from inside the XML is used for import.

You can use this to edit existing profiles, or to create new profiles with similar settings as existing ones easily.
superflexible
Site Admin

Postby spagnola on Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:35 am

thanks for reply.
re: POST BELOW, it may be duplicate to the "XML REVISITED", I had written to that one,, replying to you, but it looks like that post did not get saved

re: EXPORTING the XML, and re-importing - HOW MUCH of the XML do I need to export - just the NON-DEFAULT settings, or the FULL profile, etc (you have diferent options available).
I HAD exported an XML, removed some items, then reimported, and the REMOVED items got deleted from profile, so I am not sure what portions need exported
spagnola

Postby superflexible on Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:44 am

Hello,
just the non-default settings should be sufficient, but you have to keep all fields in the XML when editing it.

Please note that passwords such as FTP are not exported.

For modern cloud storage, this is usually not a problem because cloud access tokens are not saved in the profiles. However if you use the optional Account ID in the profiles in order to be able to use multiple cloud accounts with the same cloud service, unfortunately the Account ID is lost too. Please check if this is a problem.

You can add account IDs to the path in the XML like this:

ext://nick@Google Drive/FolderName

Where nick is the optional account ID.
superflexible
Site Admin

Postby spagnola on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:57 am

thanks very much for reply, i'll look at all these options
spagnola

Return to Windows Support * new forum: www.syncovery.com/forum