Synology Package Email Notifications

No more questions - please go to www.syncovery.com/forum instead

Moderator: SuperFlexible Administrators

Synology Package Email Notifications

Postby xawen on Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:50 pm

I am trying to get my email notifications working with a gmail smtp server. So far I haven't had any luck. My SMTP settings are:

Sender name: Syncovery
Email address: syncovery@domain.com
SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP port: 587
User ID and password: valid gmail ID and password
Use SMTP auth: checked
Use SASL: unchecked
Explicit TLS: checked
TLS v1.2 selected

I have the notification settings setup to produce an email for manual jobs (for testing) and the job logs say that an email is being sent at the end of the job. The password I'm using for gmail is an app password which shows a timestamp for the last time it was used. The password has never been used, meaning Syncovery hasn't authenticated with the SMTP server. I've tried different SMTP settings (port 465, TLS checked/unchecked, TLS versions) with no change.

Is there a server level log (not a job log) that shows the email activity that would show connection errors?
xawen

Re: Synology Package Email Notifications

Postby superflexible on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:51 am

Hello,
the settings for Gmail are:

SMTP Port: 465

URL: smtp.googlemail.com

And your Google account has to be set to allow older, "less safe" applications to log on.

I do not know if it can work with an app password.

Details about email sending are listed at the end of each profile's log file.
superflexible
Site Admin

Postby xawen on Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:10 am

Port 465 with server smpt.googlemail.com is one of the combinations I tried. The app passwords replicate the "less safe" option when 2FA is enabled on the account, so it should work. I have used that combination with the Windows version of Syncovery with no issues. The only reason I called out the app password, is that gmail provides a view to see when/if an app password has ever been used. Syncovery doesn't seem to be attempting to authenticate, because there is no timestamp on it's app password.

The last entry I see in the profile log is below:

The Notification Email is now being prepared.
Recipients : xxx@xxxx.com
Waiting to send email at 15:37:04
Now sending email at 15:37:04
Email has been added to the digest.

There is no email sent, and the app password timestamp remains blank. Is there any way to see a log of the actual email connection attempt, or any errors it encountered?
xawen

Postby superflexible on Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:31 pm

Please turn off the digest feature on the Notification tab sheet of the Program Settings dialog.
superflexible
Site Admin

Return to Linux Support