SFTP, Versioning and Use Partial File Updating issue

Please use this forum for all your technical Support needs.

Moderator: BackupCreations Administrators

SFTP, Versioning and Use Partial File Updating issue

Postby wizard-ict on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:02 am

I've set up a profile to copy to an SFTP server. I've enabled "Use Partial File Updating" as this is over a slow WAN connection. I also want to keep a number of versions, so I've configured them to "Move in to a folder" called "revisions".

Backing up new files is fine, the issue comes when trying to update a file. The log shows an error:

10/02/2016 11:04:31 Uploaded file not found on destination, file size could not be verified. You can turn off the verification on the second tab sheet of the Internet/FTP dialog.
/share/MD0_DATA/ECB/Backup/Email/test.doc
Exception Transfer error at 00000000018CC61E.
Filename: Z:\Backup\Email\test.doc
Checkpoints: TGGetOrPutEX:Transfer error

As far as I can tell the file has been moved to the "revisions" folder first. When Syncovery then try's to do a partial update the file no longer exists and generates the error. The next day the backup completes successfully, because there is no file to update so it just transfers the new file. The day after it fails etc...

Is there a way to use partial updating and versioning together? I had presumed it would copy the revision and then update the existing file (in the same way Rsync does) but it appears not, unless I'm mistaken.
wizard-ict

Re: SFTP, Versioning and Use Partial File Updating issue

Postby superflexible on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:37 pm

Hello,
this is not possible in that way. When combining Partial File Updating (=Block Level Copying) and Versioning, you have to use Synthetic Backup. All versions must be kept in the same folder as s the main file.

See also
https://www.syncovery.com/synthetic-backup/
superflexible
Site Admin

Postby wizard-ict on Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:52 am

I don't think that will achieve what I want, but I will give it a try.

As far as I can see that will give me the original files, with forward incrementals in zip files, is that correct? I want a copy of the data in its most current format, not zipped, with reverse incrementals (or versions) in a separate file structure so everything can be accessed and restored outside of Syncovery if required.
wizard-ict

Postby superflexible on Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:19 pm

We don't offer that.
superflexible
Site Admin

Return to Technical Support