Problem with database and new backup drive

No more questions - please go to http://www.syncovery.com/forum instead

Moderator: SuperFlexible Administrators

Problem with database and new backup drive

Postby Tomm on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:30 am

I dont know how to get Syncovery to rebuild a database. I've resolved this but in an unorthodox way (changing the location of the databases) and was wondering how it *should* be done.

I'm confused by the database settings and related help info.

The situation is that my external drive died so I replaced it, recreating the same partitions as previously.

I manually ran a profile to it, and was only offered to backup a couple of folders - presumably what had changed since the previous backup - i.e. it ignored the emptiness of the new drive.

The profile was created a while back so I'm not sure what settings I initially changed. It's a large backup and IIRC it automatically created a database.

Info said:
[Special->Database]
NameForDatabase=V from Y
DBLeftBasePath=Y:\
DBRightBasePath=V:\XXXXX\Y

Help says:
Cache Destination File List...

The file list of the destination side can be buffered in a cache, which is stored as a database on your computer. When this database is used, building the file list can be much quicker. However, you need to make sure that no other program or persons modifies the destination side, because otherwise it would get out of sync with the cache.
(my emphasis) -
This option is not selected.

I'm wondering
1) how this should be dealt with normally - just delete the database file?
2) is it correct that it should ignore the destination (just looking at the database), even without "Cache Destination File List" selected ?

Thanks! Tom
Tomm

Re: Problem with database and new backup drive

Postby superflexible on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:41 am

It may have ignored the destination if you are using SmartTracking mode. This mode ignores deleted files by default. For backups, you would not usually use that. Use Standard Copying or Exact Mirror instead.

Yes, to have the database be rebuilt, you would simply delete it.
superflexible
Site Admin

Re: Problem with database and new backup drive

Postby Tomm on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:13 am

superflexible wrote:It may have ignored the destination if you are using SmartTracking mode. This mode ignores deleted files by default. For backups, you would not usually use that. Use Standard Copying or Exact Mirror instead.

Yes, to have the database be rebuilt, you would simply delete it.

'Yes, that's it. I saw that Smart-Tracking ignores deleted files but misunderstood that to mean deleted on the left will be ignored on the right

THanks for your help!
Tomm

Return to Windows Support * new forum: www.syncovery.com/forum