Transfer order

No more questions - please go to http://www.syncovery.com/forum instead

Moderator: SuperFlexible Administrators

Transfer order

Postby Ghosting on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:57 am

Hi,

We have files being continuously copied across to a secondary site (SQL Server logs). Recently the order of the files have been arriving at the secondary site in non-chronological order. This then causes the database at the secondary site to fall behind more than necessary until the earlier file is copied across.

Is there anyway to force files to be copied across in chronological order?

Many thanks
Ghosting

Re: Transfer order

Postby superflexible on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:30 am

In most cases, files are copied in alphanumerically sorted order. To avoid any deviations, you need to set the number of files being copied in parallel to 1. This setting is on the Files tab sheet in the profile in Advanced Mode.

The only case where a different order can happen is in real-time mode based on individual events (rather than "Process Complete Folders"). In that case, the copying order is based on the incoming file system events (which I assume are in chronological order, but nobody guarantees that).

If you are using real-time with individual events and you are unhappy with that, try switching to "Process Complete Folders" and set the number of files being copied in parallel to 1.
superflexible
Site Admin

Postby Ghosting on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:01 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The setting for number of files being copied in parallel is already set to 1 and the real-time option is not ticked. One thing i haven't checked though is if the SSH server that is presenting the files to Syncovery is not displaying the files in chronological order for some reason. I will check this next. If that is not the issue, do you recommend I enable the Realtime Sync, as i already have Continuous sync enabled?

Many thanks
Ghosting

Postby superflexible on Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:32 am

I don't think you need Real-Time Sync if alphanumerical order is correct.
superflexible
Site Admin

Postby Ghosting on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:27 am

OK, ill try that.

Thanks
Ghosting

Postby Ghosting on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:02 am

Hi,

OK, i can't get this to transfer the files in order. The 'Use Real-Time Synchronisation' option cannot be used because an Internet Protocol is being used on the source side. Is there any other setting i could try?

Thanks
Ghosting

Postby ExNavyNuke on Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:49 pm

Just a thought. Your initial post makes it seem like files were transferring in the manner you needed them to and then at some point they didn't. Perhaps you can find what changed and work the problem from that angle.
ExNavyNuke

Postby Ghosting on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:15 am

Hi,

I have checked the source (Bitvise SSH server) and there isn't anything that looks to be causing a non-chronological order to be forced. I'm at a loss now, as i have tried everything suggested. Does the latest version offer any new features/fixes which could possibly assist here?

Thanks
Ghosting

Return to Windows Support * new forum: www.syncovery.com/forum