Scheduled vs Real-Time Sync

No more questions - please go to http://www.syncovery.com/forum instead

Moderator: SuperFlexible Administrators

Scheduled vs Real-Time Sync

Postby KRyder on Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:28 am

Hi there,

I'm trying to configure the demo application (to ensure that it does everything that we need it to, and also to ensure that we understand how it does it), and have a question in relation to running a Full Scheduled Sync vs a Real-Time Sync (on Windows Server using the installed service scheduler).

Typical Scenario - I want to Sync data on one server to another server.

I have managed to setup a Real-Time Sync - no issues there and it starts up correctly and does what it's supposed to do.

If I want to configure a Nightly Full Sync of the same folders (just in case the Real-Time missed something due to an incorrect OS file change signal etc.), do I need to create a separate Profile for that which is scheduled to execute daily at the specified time, or can I get that done by scheduling it as well as monitoring it in the one Profile?

(I tried doing it in the one Profile, but the full Sync doesn't seem to run when the time arrives, and if I launch it in Attended or unattended mode, it launches the Full Sync repeatedly - I am using the remote service, so it's easy to see the directory listing requests coming in to the remote server repeatedly).

Thanks and regards,

Kieran
KRyder

Re: Scheduled vs Real-Time Sync

Postby superflexible on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:29 pm

Hello,

yes the full sync can (and should) be specified in the same profile.

Make sure you do not use "Continuous Sync". This is only for FTP and is not suitable for your purpose.

If the profile needs to run when nobody is logged on to the server, please install the scheduler as a service. See also
https://www.syncovery.com/uncategorized/service/
superflexible
Site Admin

Postby KRyder on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:13 am

Thanks for the information.

Removing the"Continuous Sync" in combination with restarting the service (after adding a Schedule, as well as leaving the Monitoring enabled) seemed to do the trick.

I have one large archive (~4 Million files), which doesn't change too often. Ideally, a continuous Sync with a "Weekly on Saturday" scheduled Full Sync would be best (as the Full Sync takes a large number of hours to sort through all of the files - yes I'm using the remote service, and it's doing it's thing).

Is there a way of scheduling a Weekly scan in the same Profile as a Monitoring scan (where the monitoring scan is running all the time)? I can't use the Weekdays to do this, as it stops the monitoring. There is a "Repeat Monthly" checkbox, but nothing for weekly.

If I need to create a separate profile for this, then it's not the end of the world. If I do, should I ensure that the Monitoring Schedule is stopped while the Full Sync is being performed, or can the two be run together (to remove the possibility of missing files - after the Full Sync is finished, but before the Monitoring is scheduled to start again)?

Apologies for the questions, but I'm trying to get the nuances of the replication schedule/options sorted, so that things run as smoothly as possible (and how they were designed).

Regards,

Kieran
KRyder

Postby superflexible on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:46 am

Hello,
ideally the full sync should be in the same profile because then Syncovery can coordinate it properly. Can you try Run Every 7 Days, 0 hour, 0 minutes, 0 seconds? And then specify the next run date and time below.
superflexible
Site Admin

Return to Windows Support * new forum: www.syncovery.com/forum