Syncovery + Amazon Cloud Drive + Gigabit internet = Slow Up

No more questions - please go to http://www.syncovery.com/forum instead

Moderator: SuperFlexible Administrators

Syncovery + Amazon Cloud Drive + Gigabit internet = Slow Up

Postby aps on Wed May 10, 2017 6:36 pm

Hi there. I am currently testing out Syncovery (the trial) to see if I want to purchase and use as part of my backup solution. I have gigabit internet (1000/1000Mbps). Even during busy times, I still see 650/650Mbps.

I am trying to backup files to my Amazon Cloud Drive. I have successfully setup the job and I have even completed a job. My issue is the upload speed. Right now it's averaging around 5MB/sec.

I have 10 parallel threads enabled, but I have also tried 3-6 with same results. I am zipping each file and encrypting.

Any tips/ideas? What else should I share that would help figure out the problem?
aps

Re: Syncovery + Amazon Cloud Drive + Gigabit internet = Slow Up

Postby superflexible on Mon May 15, 2017 8:59 am

Hello,
it could be that the https library in Syncovery is not optimized for this kind of Internet bandwidth. In addition, amazon drive is a product that is licensed only for consumer use. Businesses and companies are not allowed to use it. I feel that some people are abusing their unlimited data storage.

As a consumer product, amazon drive does not have a multithreaded upload API for large files that would allow to maximize bandwidth usage.

Syncovery supports multithreaded uploads for Amazon S3 and Microsoft Azure BLOB storage. If you have professional use for uploading large files, these services are most likely more appropriate.

That said, I am open to analyzing the bottleneck to see if anything can be improved. Are you uploading lots of smaller files or big files? For smaller files, nothing can be done. There is an overhead for each file, and Amazon does not allow too many HTTP requests per second.

For big files, we can do some performance analysis.
superflexible
Site Admin

Return to Mac Support * new forum: www.syncovery.com/forum