Not moving files

No more questions - please go to www.syncovery.com/forum instead

Moderator: SuperFlexible Administrators

Not moving files

Postby camaleon69 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:25 am

Are there any problem with the "moving feature" in the linux version? Because I can't get that work. :cry:

It seems that it never detects the change (one file moved to another folder or one file just renamed) and always upload the whole file again.

Checked that I have active the "Detect moved.." and "Detect renamed..." options but no result.

Is that a bug? Or I'm just missing something?

Thanks!
camaleon69

Re: Not moving files

Postby camaleon69 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:39 am

I can't get that work in Windows neither. :cry: :cry:

And I forgot to mention is a Local-to-Gdocs sync.
camaleon69

Postby superflexible on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:54 pm

This feature depends on the file's original modification date being preserved. But Google Docs cannot preserve the original file dates. So, they cannot be confirmed to be identical and cannot be detect as moved.

The only way around this is to use Filename Encoding, which preserves modification dates by encoding them into the filename.

Or use some other online storage (preferably via FTP or SSH because this can usually preserve the file properties better).

Another way to make it work would be to use the "Cache Destination File List" checkmark from the Special tab sheet in the profile. However, then the program will never look on Google Docs to check if changes have been made there. So it is suitable only for pure back-up purposes.
superflexible
Site Admin

Postby camaleon69 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:31 am

Thanks for the complete information!

If I choose Filename Encoding, are there any way to batch-rename all the files back to normal in the future, and remove the timestamp appended? I mean, without re-uploading all files again.

I'd use that feature, but only if I could back to normal effortlessly just in case I regret... :roll:
camaleon69

Postby superflexible on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:17 pm

Files are renamed back to normal when copying in the opposite direction (right side to left side). If you can run the software on the computer where the files are uploaded to, then you can do it without transferring over the Internet. But the normal case is that filenames are decoded when downloading / restoring the files.
superflexible
Site Admin

Postby camaleon69 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:56 pm

Thanks!

I see the problems I'm having are mostly related with the lack of timestamp record of Gdocs.. :cry:

But one thing I think it should work is the overwriting. To reproduce the problem:

- Select "Exact mirror" or "Smart Copy".
- Select the options to allow overwriting files, enable "Cache..", ...
- Upload a file.
- Modify the file in local (A), and try to upload to Gdocs (B).
- Warning that is going to be overwriten (that's what I want, so Accept)
- It uploads the whole file, but just at the end, it stucks. Wait for a while a finally get an error. Don't overwrite/update the file and continues to the next one.

It happens with all the files in the same situation.

Anything I'm missing?? :?
camaleon69

Postby superflexible on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:05 pm

I will try this soon!
superflexible
Site Admin

Return to Linux Support