Latest Kernel Version Incompatibility

No more questions - please go to www.syncovery.com/forum instead

Moderator: SuperFlexible Administrators

Latest Kernel Version Incompatibility

Postby kampkrusty on Sun May 08, 2011 6:35 pm

I recently upgraded Ubuntu from Maverick to Natty, and now your product is working differently. The source directory is local to the PC I am running the Linux version 5.43a on, and the target directory is located on a NAS device via a samba share. The issue is, when I attempt to do a mirror sync from left to right, it shows that many files do not exist on the target, when indeed they do. The current kernel version I am running is 2.6.38-8-generic-pae (32-bit). When I reboot into a previous kernel, version 2.6.35-28-generic-pae (32-bit), it works fine, showing those files as existing on the target. So it looks like an incompatibility issue with the newer kernel version.

Do you have plans to release a newer version for Linux in the near future? If not, is there a way to obtain the source code and compile it on my computer?

Thanks!
kampkrusty

Re: Latest Kernel Version Incompatibility

Postby superflexible on Thu May 12, 2011 1:43 pm

The program uses only very basic libc functions, so I don't think that there can be such an incompatibility. Maybe it is a bug in your setup or the kernel or samba. Mounting samba shares is not easy, either.

New versions are released all the time. If it really turns out to be an incompatibility, it will be fixed at some point. The source code is not available.
superflexible
Site Admin

Postby kampkrusty on Thu May 12, 2011 4:54 pm

It is definitely a Samba/CIFS issue using the Linux version of your product. I don't have an issue when I use NFS or sftp instead.

Interestingly, though, the problem does not exist using the Windows version of your product. I set up a Samba server on my Ubuntu box. For the mirror sync, the left-hand side is located on a drive local to the box, whereas the right-hand side is located on the NAS via the Samba share I am having issues with. I downloaded the evaluation version for Windows, installed it on my XP laptop, and connected to both shares on the Ubuntu box. Using the Windows version, I do not have the issue, even though I am still accessing the NAS via the Samba share on Ubuntu.
kampkrusty

Postby superflexible on Thu May 12, 2011 6:11 pm

Hi,

what you could do is choose "File List Building Details" on the Program Settings dialog (F8), tab sheet Logs. You could do that on both Windows and Linux. Then we could compare the log files. Even better would be comparing these logs created with the two different kernels.
superflexible
Site Admin

Postby kampkrusty on Fri May 13, 2011 3:35 pm

I didn't see much of a difference between the log files, except that the previous Linux kernel and Windows both show 6 files being found, whereas the latest Linux kernel shows only 5 files being found. "Emulator Info.xls" is the problem file. I have uploaded the log files for your review.
Attachments
Windows.log
(8.95 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
Ubuntu Latest Kernel.log
(7.04 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
Ubuntu Previous Kernel.log
(7.11 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
kampkrusty

Postby superflexible on Sun May 15, 2011 3:22 am

OK can you send a list -al listing from a Terminal window of that folder, with the latest kernel? Does that show the file?
superflexible
Site Admin

Postby kampkrusty on Sun May 15, 2011 8:16 am

Yes, the file does show up in the directory listing

I tried renaming "Emulator Info.xls" to "Emulator Inf.xls" in different scenarios, and came up with the following results:

1. Rename on left side only - same results as before
2. Rename on right side only - first line shows the file will be renamed back to its original name, second line shows "Parking Ticket.rtf" does not exist on right side
3. Rename on both sides - file now matches (no longer in list), but "Parking Ticket.rtf" again shows as not existing on right side
Attachments
Rename On Right Side.log
(7.81 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Rename On Left Side.log
(7.04 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Dir Listing.log
(1.06 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
kampkrusty

Postby kampkrusty on Sun May 15, 2011 8:18 am

One more attachment...
Attachments
Rename On Both Sides.log
(7.04 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
kampkrusty

Postby superflexible on Sun May 15, 2011 12:22 pm

It must be a bug in the kernel. Just go back and wait for a while before trying another new kernel.
superflexible
Site Admin

Postby kampkrusty on Tue May 17, 2011 2:05 pm

I will try to use nfs in the meantime. Thanks for your help!
kampkrusty

Return to Linux Support