[Feature suggestion] Filename encryption confirmation

No more questions - please go to http://www.syncovery.com/forum instead

Moderator: SuperFlexible Administrators

[Feature suggestion] Filename encryption confirmation

Postby Shaipetit on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:17 am

1. I've just run into an unpleasant situation.

I've used a duplicated profile that I've modified to my needs, but forgot to remove filename and foldername encryption settings. Then run the profile in Attended mode. Out of sudden filename and foldername encryption started without letting me to notice and abandon such changes.

IMHO, if filename and foldername encryption is used and Attended mode is used, encryption shouldn't start before displaying Synchronization Preview window (window that is showed after the file list has been built for user's confirmation). I'm specifically talking about the initial large scale filename and foldername encryption that takes place on destination side that didn't have filename and foldername encryption before.

This could be a safety feature in Safety - Attended mode or Safety - Special safety.
User would be given a one time prompt to confirm initial filename and foldername encryption, because when using the Attended mode users expect nothing to change until all the changes are evaluated in Synchronization Preview window and required permissions are given.

2. Is it possible to decrypt filenames and foldernames (not data content) on the destination side?

If not, it would be a nice feature to have.
Shaipetit

Re: [Feature suggestion] Filename encryption confirmation

Postby superflexible on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:39 am

I will add a confirmation prompt when the profile is run in attended mode.

Decryption in place is not currently offered. It will surely be added when I find the time.

Currently the best way to decrypt is to create a profile from uses the "Move Files to Destination" mode and move from right to left. The folder on the left side can be another local folder on the same volume.

The encryption settings must be the same as in the job that did the encryption.

Then the files will be decrypted and moved to the left side folder. Files which are still unencrypted will also be moved.

After confirming that the hierarchy is complete, you can rename the folders so that you have the original situation back. Empty folders with encrypted names will remain but you can just delete the whole encrypted hierarchy after confirming that there are no more files in it which you need.
superflexible
Site Admin

Postby Shaipetit on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:59 am

I will add a confirmation prompt when the profile is run in attended mode.

Decryption in place is not currently offered. It will surely be added when I find the time.

Awesome!

Currently the best way to decrypt is to create a profile from uses the "Move Files to Destination" mode and move from right to left. The folder on the left side can be another local folder on the same volume.

Great tip. Thank you!

Empty folders with encrypted names will remain

I've run into situations previously where Syncovery won't delete empty folders with encrypted names. Those encrypted folders would appear in Synchronization Preview window, however would be totally ignored by Syncovery. Even manually right mouse clicking in Synchronization Preview window on those folders and choosing Delete *foldername* Now wouldn't allow to delete those empty folders with encrypted names. Log file would have such entries for those folders:

Folder marked for deletion: 72i]YE++;i3
Folder deletion will be attempted: E:\1\72i]YE++;i3
Folder not deleted E:\1\72i]YE++;i3\siMS[GKA(v%vaY$UE\YFG}$Az+p7H2BF- (Access is denied., attempts: 1)
Folder not deleted E:\1\72i]YE++;i3 (The directory is not empty., attempts: 2)

However, navigating to those folders using file explorer would allow deletions with no problems.

Is it something that is hard coded in Syncovery for a reason?
Shaipetit

Postby spagnola on Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:12 am

one othe comment.
i just encrypted 100 g of data. left to right.
i then COPIED by hand, one file, from right to left.
i double clicked on it, and windows woudl not open it, gave me an error, did not ask for password.

i then opened that file in 7-zip, and was able to enter password, and it opened.

THIS relates to the ENCRYPTION level used. windows will not open anything (prompt for password) unless it is the old level of zip encryption (NOT AES). so, to decrypt any of the encrypted files, you will have to copy right to left, with syncovery (decrypt with copy), or use 7-zip, or win-zip, for individual files.

that is not a syncovery defect, it is just a windows function, but is worthwile to be aware of
spagnola

Return to Windows Support * new forum: www.syncovery.com/forum