File renaming

No more questions - please go to http://www.syncovery.com/forum instead

Moderator: SuperFlexible Administrators

File renaming

Postby hooverbw on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:25 am

I would like to know, if I rename a file does that cause a full sync to happen against that file or does the name change ONLY occur on connected systems?

I have large files that take weeks to transfer from one location around the globe. I would like to name these files in a way they aren't used until they are completed, but if it requires a full sync just by changing the name then that defeats the purpose. Thanks.

I am using Syncovery 6.49e.
hooverbw

Re: File renaming

Postby spagnola on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:51 am

if it is not a lot of files, can you go to the destination computer and rename it there first, then rename on source, and possibly syncovery will detect that they are both the same. experiment first.
spagnola

Postby superflexible on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:49 am

Hello,
Syncovery can automatically use a temporary filename during transfer, so you don't have to rename yourself.

The setting is "Automatically resume - transfer with interim filename".

The files will have an additional .$syncovery filename extension.

If you rename files yourself, Syncovery can detect that if you choose "Detect Renamed Files" on the Files tab sheet. There are some prerequisites though, so please test this with smaller files first and look at the Sync Preview to see if Syncovery detected the rename. It can only detect renames in Exact Mirror or SmartTracking modes, if deletions are processed. The reason is that a rename operation is generated by finding a copy and delete pair of files with the same size and timestamps.

Please try it and let me know if questions remain.
superflexible
Site Admin

Postby Courtney-m on Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:47 am

Ok, it seems to be clear, but if there are really many files? is it still automatic?
Courtney-m

Postby superflexible on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:51 pm

Hello,
yes, "Detect Renamed Files" can detect the files based on "Last Modified" timestamp and file size. If there are several files with the same timestamp and size, it doesn't work. But that is unlikely.

You need to test this with a smaller set of files before relying on it in a big project.
superflexible
Site Admin

Return to Windows Support * new forum: www.syncovery.com/forum