checkpoints relative to ?

No more questions - please go to http://www.syncovery.com/forum instead

Moderator: SuperFlexible Administrators

checkpoints relative to ?

Postby aams3 on Tue May 29, 2018 3:54 pm

hi ,
am still new at sycovery and i got so far that , in synthetic backup the option of deleting old increments works on all increments including the checkpoints i created but the thing i dont get the other option that says use checkpoint to reduce.....etc , what if i left that option unchecked ? , and i would like an explaination on relative to option and the below it check mark build all incremental images against the preceding checkpoint and why it uses more space , thank u very much for your patience and anchiestly waiting for the answer :) .
aams3

Re: checkpoints relative to ?

Postby superflexible on Tue May 29, 2018 4:14 pm

Hello,
firstly you need to determine if Synthetic Backup is the right option for your use case. It is only appropriate for a few types of files: large databases, Outlook PST files, and VM disk images. Rather than backing up the complete files every time, it will put the changed blocks in separate zip files. This is not useful for Office documents or images.

You can read more about it here:
https://www.syncovery.com/synthetic-backup/

Since every backup contains only the changed blocks, you would theoretically need all of the backup files to restore the complete file, because every backup file contains different blocks. To reduce the number of files that a successful restore will depend on, you can use checkpoints. The checkpoints are like regular backup files, but they contain more blocks than just the ones changed since the previous backup. For example, the first weekly checkpoint in a month could contain all the blocks changed in the previous month. So for a restore, you would only need the monthly backup files plus the most recent weekly ones plus the most recent daily ones.

Because a quarterly checkpoint relative to the previous quarter (i.e. containing all the blocks since the previous quarter) can be quite large, you can limit the distance that a checkpoint is based on to a month or even a week.

How the checkpoints depend on each other has an influence on how many small, older backup files can be purged.
superflexible
Site Admin

Re: checkpoints relative to ?

Postby aams3 on Thu May 31, 2018 9:56 pm

am really thankful for your response and really sorry cause i seen it late , but all of that is in that help document which i read before even for somereason when u repeated it in here it was more clear to me heh , but parden me if i ask several questions that would explain whats in my head more , they are :
1 ok so if am using it with normal doc file wouldnt it upload only the changed parts of that file ?
2 if i didnt check the checkpoints checkmark , that means it will synthetically combines all pieaces every time no matter how far they are from the intial file ?
3 so am doing checkpoints weekly consedering that i made it against intail file version , if i understood right it will make a full backup of the file regardless of how many check points are there ? right , and what if i got the maximum distance to a month even am making the check points weekly , again my understanding is it will collect all increments of the whole month regardless of the checkpoints before it , right ? , so with that sense if i got it monthly made checkpoint it will look for week by week parts and make like 4 check points for the whole month ? am just trying to express my mind only here to make it easier for u sir to answer .
3 the dliema !!! , build all incremental images against their preceding checkpoints , in here am lost wasnt that function is the same like the previous funtion we described above ?
am really admiring your work to answer ppl for such amazing software that almost not missing any thing except to add the backup functions in more speciallized way like incremental pushes and synthezing these increments and dedublication .....etc , by that it will be the rock in the backup field because like a post i seen somewere in here borg is rocking in those functions but it lacks all the major options u guys have in syncovery so by appling these suggestions your name will be at the top list in wikipeida amount backing up sofware .
sorry for getting long but hope it was worthy and anchiestly waiting for your reply sir, thank u very much :)
aams3

Return to Windows Support * new forum: www.syncovery.com/forum