Zip package settings ignored if file/folder names encrypted?

No more questions - please go to http://www.syncovery.com/forum instead

Moderator: SuperFlexible Administrators

Zip package settings ignored if file/folder names encrypted?

Postby rossmcm on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:04 pm

I'm trying to backup to an FTP account. Everything works, except - the ZIP package constraints are being ignored. The backup set consists of 115,000 files totalling 5Gb. I have zip packages enabled with 1000 files maximum per package and 20 Mb maximum zip size.

When I run the profile, it scans the files and then proceeds to write one zip file 5Gb in size. When it has finished this it uploads the single 5Gb file to the FTP destination.

I'm sure this worked before, but this is the first time I have tried FTP as a destination. I also have encryption of file and folder names turned on.

Will either of these cause the package settings to be ignored?

Running 7.91a 64-bit

** UPDATE **
- Tried repeating the exercise with the destination as a local folder, encrypted names and folders enabled - same result - I got one 5Gb file created with an encrypted name.
- Tried without encrypted names or folders, destination as FTP. This time the ZIP constraints were honoured.

I need to explain the objective here. I want to sync the fileset (5Gb, 100,000-odd files) to an FTP server. I like the encrypted filenames and folders - it's another level of security. The server host places limits however on the maximum number of "nodes" (files/folders) allowed, so I cant just upload an image of the files that has 100,000 encrypted Zip files. This where zip packages come in, except it seems that zip packages are incompatible with encrypted filenames and/or folder names
rossmcm

Re: Zip package settings ignored if file/folder names encrypted?

Postby superflexible on Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks, I will look into it!
superflexible
Site Admin

Postby superflexible on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:21 pm

Hello,
I can confirm that the option "Limit Zip File Size To" was ignored when Filename Encryption was used. This will be fixed in the next update, 7.93e.

But the number of "Files per package" already works fine regardless of Filename Encryption or not.

I will let you know when the update is available.
superflexible
Site Admin

Postby superflexible on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:51 pm

In version 7.93e, Zip Packages now take the option “Limit Zip File Size” into account again even if Filename Encryption is used.
superflexible
Site Admin

Postby rossmcm on Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:39 pm

Now, that is service. :)
rossmcm

Postby superflexible on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:05 pm

Thanks!
superflexible
Site Admin

Postby rossmcm on Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:56 am

Aha, now I move onto my next problem.

I have set up to encrypt folder and filenames and I get the multipart archive with encrypted names and folder names, and encrypted file contents safely stored on the FTP server. Speeds are impressive when compared to individual file backups.

Now comes the problem with the restore. Obviously, because of the packaged nature of these backups, they are only really suitable for full backups, rather than daily incrementals. That's fine, but I'm having trouble restoring an image. I figure it makes more sense to restore the packaged zips from the FTP server to the local machine, and then reconstruct the files and folders locally. So I have downloaded my 50 100Mb ZIP packages into a temporary folder, but I can't seem to hit upon the combination of profile options that will restore and decrypt the files. I keep getting messages about

"ZIP Packages should only be used with the copying direction left to right.
Would you like the copying direction to be adjusted accordingly?

and no matter what I answer the preview reports no files will be copied.

How do I reconstruct my backup ?
rossmcm

Postby Stringer on Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:59 am

This is still a problem. If I set limit zip size, it complains about free space (I have direct compression enabled and 20TB free space). If I take that limit away, then it doesn't split anything. Only way I managed to use split is with timestamps on zip files, but I want to do incremental backups to old files instead creating whole new ones with each run.
Stringer

Postby superflexible on Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:27 pm

Hello,
to unzip Zip Packages you need to create a job that copies right to left and choose the "Unzip All" option. Please try the latest Syncovery version and contact support@syncovery.com if there are any problems.
superflexible
Site Admin

Return to Windows Support * new forum: www.syncovery.com/forum